Saturday, March 19, 2011

Let me Introduce Myself (Julie Peters Akey)

Thank you for your interest in the PECH project in Haiti. Let me give you a little bit more information about me for those of you who don"t know me.

Julie Peters Akey
-I spent 9 months working in Port-au-Prince, Haiti in 1998 with the US Army and I haven't stopped thinking about Haiti since
-My husband and I met in Haiti
-In the Army, I was a French, Spanish, and Arabic translator. I am still fluent in Spanish, and know enough French and Kreyol to get around in Haiti. My Arabic isn't so great anymore though!
-I earned a MA in Teaching English as a Second Language from Hawaii Pacific University, a BA in International Studies and a BA in Spanish from Miami University
-I am the owner and director of Sol Spanish School: we teach Spanish language and culture to children & adults in Honolulu, Hawaii
-I am an adjunct Geography instructor at Hawaii Pacific University, but I also teach Spanish to children, English as a Second Language to adults, & am a writing tutor
-I am half way finished writing a book about Haiti
-I'm addicted to traveling and have been to 34 countries

No comments:

Post a Comment