Friday, April 12, 2013

Legos with the Haitian children


Our Lego project with the Gentille Hirondelle elementary school children was a huge success! At first, the Haitian children hesitated, not knowing what to do with the colorful Legos. They kept calling, "Madame Julie! Aidez-moi!" (Ms. Julie! Help me!) After they figured out how to put the pieces together, they began making little creations. Some followed the directions from the kits, and others used their own creativity. They were so proud of the things they built and wanted to take them home with them. We immediately noticed that a few of the children have very engineering-oriented brains because they caught on quickly and dove into their projects.


I felt the children really enjoyed working with the Legos, especially since they rarely get to play and they have few, if any, toys. I also think it was very therapeutic for them. The school plans to continue working with the Legos once a week to help foster basic engineering skills and build creativity. I can't wait to see their designs and creations next time I go back!
Thank you to all of those who donated Lego's for this project!




Legos in Haiti

Look at my creation!


 


Even the Haitian teacher got into the Legos



Look what I made! Legos in Haiti



working together in Haiti


No comments:

Post a Comment