Saturday, January 8, 2011

Naming the Project

I took this picture in 1998 in the mountains of Haiti. People are waiting in this long line for rice and beans from the Catholic charity Caritas

PECH: Project English Curriculum Haiti

Why did I chose the name PECH?

First of all, I wanted something simple that summed up where and what my project is, hence the "English curriculum in Haiti" description.

Secondly, I wanted a name that summed up my project philosophy:
     -Education and knowledge are the keys to success
     -Help for Haiti should be long-lasting and impact many

Finally, I've always believed in the quote "If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day.  If you teach a man to fish he will eat for a lifetime."  The word "PECH" is part of the Haitian Kreyol word for "fishing"-"lapech".  So therein lies the connection.


No comments:

Post a Comment